Miss Thom, Science subject lead
At Kingsbridge Community Primary school, we inspire our children to develop and grow a love of science. Science is a system of observations and experiments which help support children in their understanding of the universe and how the world around them works. Therefore, we feel that it is essential all children receive an outstanding scientific education.
As a school, we strive for excellence in education by providing our children with a Science curriculum that encourages them to explore and appreciate the world we live in. Our curriculum is accessible for all learners. It encourages a positive attitude to learning based on curiosity and discovery, extending children’s scientific knowledge and vocabulary so that they have a deeper scientific understanding of the world we live in. A high-quality Science education provides the foundations for understanding the world through the specific disciplines of biology, chemistry and physics. Science has changed our lives and is vital to the world’s future prosperity, and all pupils should be taught essential aspects of the knowledge, methods, processes and uses of science. We aim to provide all children with the skills and knowledge to achieve at least the age-related expectation in Science.
The aims of Science, as outlined in the national curriculum are to ensure that all pupils:
- Develop a love for science and continue to develop this throughout their time with us and take their passion into secondary education and as lifelong learners.
- Develop understanding of nature, processes and methods of science through different types of scientific enquiries that help them to answer scientific questions about the world around them.
- Are equipped with the scientific knowledge required to understand the uses and implications of science, today and for the future.
- Are aware of the possibilities for a career in science as a result of our community links and connection with national agencies such as the STEM Association.
- Make good progress and achieve at least age expected standard in Science.